Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pumpkin Cake for Thanksgiving...

This cake was first introduced to me by our neighbor Polly Ann. She left me a bag right outside my door and in it was a cake mixture in a box which she got from Whole Foods Market and a can of Libby's Pumpkin puree. So my job was to simply follow the direction on the box and bake it. At first, I was not really sure if I would like it coz I never had a Pumpkin cake in my life. But hey, why not give it shot? Afterall, it was free and i've nothing to lose. And yes, we love it! I served it with whipped cream which tasted even better. I never thought it would taste this good. Back home in Asia, we would normally cook pumpkin as a savory dish but not as a dessert. I'm pretty sure it would taste even better if I had substituted a fresh roasted one. But all the box calls for was just a cup so why go through all that process? Imagine roasting, peeling and pureeing? Besides, what am I gonna do with the rest of the squash? Guess, I have to find another type of dessert that requires the same ingredient. Hitting two birds with one stone as they say.

I've served this cake a couple of times to our guests and they all like it. But all of a sudden, Wholefoods stopped selling this. I scrolled their baking aisle many times but to no avail. I had planned to serve this for Thanksgiving as one of the desserts coz my hubby had requested it. Luckily, I found them at Marshall's and immediately, I grabbed two boxes. The brand is Canterbury Naturals. I was so happy to have finally found it. I know I can make it from scratch but i'm pressed for time. There were a few days til Thanksgiving and I don't wanna deal with trying out new recipes. I had a last minute order for a Cheesecake and delivered it on Thanksgiving day. So, this cake mixture saved me a lot of time. I baked it a day early and frosted it a few hours before our dinner. Again, I got my Autumn sprinkles from Marshall's. I didn't have to worry about cooking coz we ordered them all from Whole Foods Market. And by the way, it was a very disappointing one except for the Turkey. I'll never do it again. Infact, that was the first time we didn't cook for Thanksgiving. Thought, I needed a break from kitchen work. Although, I still did the clean up at the end of the meal, who else? They're our guests, I'm just glad that everything went well, nobody complained of upset stomach and it's all over. Learned a lesson, I'd rather cook than to settle for catered dishes. Can't just rely on them, homecooked meal is still the best. Until next Thanksgiving...

No comments:

Post a Comment