Saturday, January 9, 2010

TenPenh Inspired Dish

It was my mom's birthday, so we decided to dine at TenPenh restaurant at the Penn Quarter. We had heard about this place before and was highly recommended. I've also read about it on papers and found out that their Chef was a Filipino-American. I went to their website to check on their menu and of course, I was more curious about the chef himself. I've passed by this restaurant many times when we would go to Central Michel Richard which is next door or right on the same block. Thought it looks interesting coz I could see the interior from the sidewalk. It was my sister-in-law Jeanne who told us to go there and order their Sea Bass. So, as soon as we sat down, the waitress informed us that there were only two orders of Sea bass left according to the Chef, meaning, it's their most popular dish. We didn't even get a chance to look at the menu and didn't think twice to get the last two orders. My mom had to settle for Tuna dish which she didn't like as much as my Sea Bass. We also ordered a side of Stir Fry Veggies which was really delicious. For appetizer, we had Filipino Lumpia Spring Rolls and Dumplings. For dessert, they served us a complimentary Deep-fried Donuts and they're just as soft as a Cotton candy. There's nothing like a warm donut. The night ended on a good note, my mom was so happy and so am I. I don't see her often, atleast once a year for 2 weeks. So, for her 60th birthday, I plan to take her on a trip. Where? She wants to go on a cruise to Alaska but I'm still debating whether to go on a cruise or just fly to British Columbia in Canada. We'll see...

SEA BASS WITH THAI CHILI SAUCE

2 Sea Bass fillets
2 Tbsp Canola oil, divided
Sweet Chili sauce (Mae Ploy brand)
1/2 Tbsp Garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp Soy sauce
1/2 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Sesame oil

Pat the fillets with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a non stick pan, when the oil is really hot, place the fillet skin side down. Sear for atleast 3 to 4 minutes for a crispier skin. Cook the other side for another 3 to 4 minutes or less depending on the thickness of the fish. On a separate pan, sweat chopped garlic in oil for about 2 minutes. Add Chili sauce, Soy sauce and sugar. Adjust the consistency if too thick with some water. Give it a quick boil and finish with sesame oil. Serve with boiled or sauteed Baby Bok Choy and steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment