Thursday, January 27, 2011

Heirloom Tomatoes

CAPRESE SALAD, ANYONE?

It's summertime!!! And you know what that means, YES, it's Tomatoes season...It's that time of the year when Tomatoes taste at its best! We love Tomatoes and we always get the Vine-ripe kind even when it's not in season...I use it mostly on salads but the Plum kind, I only use it for cooking...I consider Heirloom Tomatoes the best of the best of all Tomatoes, why? Simply because they taste different, it's earthy and juicy...It's a Hybrid (I guess) that's why they're costly...They may be pricey but I don't mind indulging on this beautiful produce in the summer...


I took several shots of these gorgeous Tomatoes and these are just a few of them...Wish I can post them all but I don't wanna bore you...I know this won't be the last time i'm gonna blog about Tomatoes...





I love Caprese Salad...It's an Italian Tomato Salad from the island of Capri...In Italy, they normally make this salad using Vine-ripe or Roma Tomatoes with Buffalo Mozzarella and fresh Basil leaves...The color symbolizes the flag of Italy...Just add salt, freshly cracked pepper, olive oil and Balsamic vinegar (optional) and you have a very refreshing summer salad...



So, for this salad, I used different varieties of organic Heirloom Tomatoes...Bought a tub of Bocconcini Mozzarella cheese and picked fresh Basil from my herb garden...Sliced them in wedges since they are not all the same size...Placed them on a white plate, as always, drizzled EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar from Napa Valley Harvest...I really like this Napa Valley brand because it has a thicker consistency compared to other Balsamic vinegar, that's why it's not all over the plate...It's slighly sweet and really great on salads just the way it is...There is no need to make a vinaigrette...




Can't wait for summer to have the best Tomatoes again...There are still Heirloom Tomatoes at the store in the winter but they just don't taste the same...Meanwhile, i'll stick to my regular leafy salad which is a staple in our house...It won't be long and it's summer again just before you know it...














No comments:

Post a Comment