Sunday, February 14, 2010

Paris Trip Summer '09

The Eiffel Tower (Top)...View from the apartment (Below)...

This has been my second time in Paris, first was back in March 2006 when I was still in Culinary school. We went back in the summer of '09 and this time with my in-laws. We stayed in an apartment in the 7th arrondisement, overlooking the Eiffel Tower. We thought it's more practical and comfortable to rent an apartment than to stay in a hotel. The apartment was big enough to accommodate 4 to 6 people. The location is very convenient to everything, bus stops, supermarket, butcher shop, patisseries, boulangeries, bistros and Rue Cler-wet and dry market. Every morning, we would just go down to the bakery for freshly baked croissants, quiche and baguette. The bakery gets really busy during lunch time, the line is long but service is prompt and their pastries sell out fast. Rue Cler is just 3 blocks away, the apartment provides a shopping trolley that we would roll to the market almost everyday. It's just quite a struggle whenever I ask for the price coz my French isn't that good. I had my dictionary with me all the time, just in case I encounter a non English speaker.


Bakeries and Pastry shops are omnipresent and everytime I see one, I would stop and try to take pictures discreetly. That's why most of my pictures are taken from the sides or zoom the cam in just to get the front view. Below is a mille feuilles of Tomatoes, Avocado and Crab meat from Le Violin d'Ingres. It was poorly taken coz I had to turn off the flash. The place was too chic and quite fancy and I didn't want he flash to catch the customer's attention. But we had such a wonderful meal that night.

I truly believe that France is the pastry capital of the world. They produce the best looking pastries. I didn't mention best tasting coz I didn't get the chance to try them all. Although, I promised myself before the trip that I would atleast try most of them. Guess, just by looking at them made me feel satiated. But I made sure that I would take pictures of these beautiful creations, so that I have great pastry memories to take with me.

Seeing pastries like these are hard to ignore. I had to stop, take a look, see if the store clerks are watching me taking photos. I was once stopped from doing it, I just didn't want it to happen again. There's something about the details and the creativity involved in making these that make me fascinated and excited whenever I see them. It's a work of art. I wonder how much time they spend on each item.


I really had to try these desserts, so I just bought a slice of each. I like the Opera cake the most, next was the one in the middle and the least was the Strawberry tart.

We dined at a Souffle place on our first night in Paris...My hubby's niece, Kara, who was doing her internship in Paris took us to this place...We all had different types of Souffle but it's the Chocolate one we liked the most...We also tried other dishes which are outstanding...Below is a Seafood Souffle served with Shrimp on the side...

The following photos were taken during our last night in Paris...My mother-in-law took us out to dinner at a neighborhood restaurant, Clos du Gourmet...The restaurant is not big at all, a little tight but the ambience is great and most of all, the food is awesome! We sat right next to the open window which really made it more French :) For sweet endings, we all had these refreshing and delicious desserts...My favorite is the Meringue with Pistachio Cream and Strawberries...I wish I can replicate it :) I will definitely go back to this restaurant on our next trip back to Paris, hopefully soon :)



A Bientot Paris!