Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bistrot Lepic Inspired Chicken Curry

We've been to Bistrot Lepic twice. The first time I had this dish, I thought it was totally amazing. I've never had this kind of Asian Chicken curry before and to think that we were in a French restaurant, who would have thought they'd make a great curry? Whoever prepared it back in the kitchen really did an awesome job. My husband ordered it on our second visit and it's very consistent. I was going to order it again but I ordered the short ribs instead which was also exceptional. Aside from the great food, the ambience is great. Feels like you're really in France, from the servers to the decors, as well as, some French guests coz of it's close proximity to the French Embassy. The second floor is where the bar and a private room are. It was also packed when we got up there. The murals are very French, although, it's a little tight. Well, what matters most is that the food is worth going back for and I would go back again in a heartbeat.
So, one night, my husband challenged me to replicate this dish, see how I can execute just by recalling the flavors. Honestly, I had to cheat a little by checking out some recipes online. Like I always do, I would consolidate the ingredients in all the recipes I find. The rest is up to my judgment while cooking the dish.

Chicken Curry

2 Chicken breasts preferably organic
3 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Half inch Ginger, crushed
1 Lemongrass (stalk), cut in 4 pieces and bruised
1 Medium White Onion, small dices
2 tsp Madras Curry Powder
1 Generous pinch Saffron
1 C Chicken stock, warmed (add more if liquid has reduced a lot)
1 -15 oz Coconut milk (I used coconut powder so that I don't have to add more liquid)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Lime juice, some
Slurry to thicken the sauce (Cornstarch and stock)

Clean chicken and pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper and dust with just a little curry powder. Heat 2 tbsps. olive oil in a pot. Sear chicken until golden brown on skin side. Set aside on a plate. In the same pot, saute garlic, ginger, lemongrass, onion, saffron and curry powder until fragrant. Add chicken back and pour chicken stock. Bring to boil and simmer (covered) for about 20 mins. or until chicken is tender or cooked through. Remove the chicken and strain the sauce. Bring the sauce to medium boil, add the coconut milk or powder diluted with stock, if using. Simmer for atleast 10 minutes. Turn up the heat and slowly add the slurry while stirring to avoid clumps. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Splash some lime juice. Garnish with chiffonade of cilantro and some red pepper flakes. Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Melba, i really like this recipe,i'll cook and let u Know if i liked.love your blog.

    ReplyDelete