Saturday, December 19, 2009

Mariano's Buttered Chicken

(With Chefs Benjie & Mariano to my left)
My colleague Mariano is the other Instructor Chef at Carlos Rosario. I've been working with him for the past 3 years. He's originally from Mexico (Chiapas) but grew up in Maryland. During those years working with him, i've learned some authentic Mexican dishes. We would use fresh tomatoes for Roasted Tomato Sauce instead of using the ones in the jar. I learned how to make Tomatillo Sauce, Chilaquiles and so on. These are the dishes that I never heard of back in Asia. He doesn't like the idea of using chicken or beef base in making sauces or soups. I know that most kitchens use instant ingredients to expedite the process but Mariano believes in developing flavors naturally. I'm so glad to be working with him coz it really expanded my repertoire in the kitchen. He's very aggressive and got great ideas. He also recognizes mine which I really appreciate. Although at times, he can be overbearing but it doesn't bother me anymore. I think we really make a great team.

Here's one of the dishes I learned from him, so simple yet delicious. Everybody at the holiday party loved them.

MARIANO'S BUTTERED CHICKEN

1 lb Butter, melted and cool a little bit
2 Cups Distilled Vinegar
5 Garlic cloves
3 Tbsp Salt
3 Tbsp Whole Peppercorn

5 lbs Chicken

In a blender, pour in vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. With the motor running, pour melted vinegar slowly until well blended or emulsified.

Pour emulsion on chicken and marinate overnight.